Jan 17 to Jan 19 with the Shacks



This was a much better start to the week after my not a lot of cooking going on weekend. On Monday, I took the leftover moroccan quinoa salad to a friend who just had a baby and that evening, I used up the rest of the grilled, marinated veggies in a quick pasta. Nothing embarrassing there.

On Tuesday, I made panini type sandwiches with the leftover tri tip from  Sunday and although I didn't eat one (I am not a huge sandwich person and I ate my beef/rice noodle pho for lunch and wasn't up to continue the beef and starch fest), the sandwich was a huge hit with the men folk.



Today, I finally got around to making chicken saltimbocca using a recipe from Cooking Light. I was at Whole Foods last week and I saw this on the cover of this month's Cooking Light and decided, then and there, that this had to happen. I love this dish. It's so light, it's salty and I love salty and it seems much richer than it is. I didn't follow the recipe when it came to the pan sauce because I don't want the sauce to be too thick so I just threw some garlic and minced shallot into the pan with the drippings and then deglazed with some of my non alcoholic ice wine but any booze would do. Port or sherry or even just a bit of white wine would also do the trick. I added 1 1/3 cup of chicken stock, the juice of a lemon and reduced it by half over high heat. After taking it off the heat, I whisked in about a tbls of butter and that was that.
We had mashed potato/sweet potato and some quickly sautéed snap peas with it. Mutual admiration around the table for this dish.


Ingredients

  • 4  (4-ounce) chicken cutlets
  • 1/8  teaspoon  salt
  • 12  fresh sage leaves
  • 2  ounces  very thinly sliced proscuitto, cut into 8 thin strips ( I used a bit more prosciutto because I could)
  • 4  teaspoons  extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/3  cup  fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth ( I added 1 1/3 cup to make more sauce)
  • 1/4  cup  fresh lemon juice (I used less lemon - juice from 1 lemon and it was plenty lemony for me)
  • 1/2  teaspoon  cornstarch (i skipped this)
  • Lemon wedges (optional)

Preparation

1. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt. Place 3 sage leaves on each cutlet; wrap 2 prosciutto slices around each cutlet, securing sage leaves in place.



2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook for 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.


3. Combine broth, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture and the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
I made my sauce differently-  1 shallot finely diced, 1 clove garlic, minced were added to the pan with the drippings after removing the chicken. After stirring that around and scraping up the goodies on the pan, I added 1 1/3 cup chicken stock and the juice of 1 lemon. I turned the heat to high and reduced by half. Removed the pan from the heat and whisked in about a tbls of butter.

This is getting a big star beside it and I look forward to making it again this time next year!












Jan 17 pasta with leftover grilled veggies from moroccan quinoa salad, sundried tomato and tomato pesto
Jan 18 beef, provolone, caramelized onion, arugula panini
Jan 19 lemony chicken saltimbocca with potato/sweet potato mash and snap peas



Comments

  1. Yay! The chicken saltimbocca was on my list for this week, so glad to hear it's good. I did the beef & butternut squash from that same issue, it was good, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment