Meyer Lemon Ginger Pulled Pork


Today's recipe, also known as Friday night's dinner, is completely owed to my partners in crime in this blog, Carole and Dianne.  We all got together for a glass or three of wine on Friday night, to touch base and so that Dianne and I could finally meet in person.  We talked about family, life and of course FOOD.  As we were wrapping things up I remembered I had wanted to ask if either of them had any recipes or idea that I could use Meyer Lemon Marmalade, since when I was making it I didn't sterilize enough jars because I didn't have enough and I now have a good cup and half of it leftover.  I know it will keep for a bit in the fridge, but I was hoping to get some fun ideas for how to use it.  They both suggested using it with some pork and I think Carole even suggested pulled pork.  That's when I light went off in my head, I had a pork loin roast in the freezer and all of the ingredients necessary to pull off an Asian twist on pulled pork.


A note on the ingredients, I often use ketchup in my pulled pork recipes, but have been incorporating chili sauce more recently depending on the recipe.  This marmalade is actually fairly sweet, so I didn't want to add too much sugar which is why I went with the chili sauce.   I know ketchup is sweet but love the flavor it brings to any BBQ inspired dish, especially since I like a bit of sweetness in that type of thing.  It wasn't until I started reading Coconut & Lime that I realized there was an alternative with a very similar flavor profile, minus the sweetness.

Meyer Lemon & Ginger Pulled Pork

1 3lb center cut pork loin roast
4 onions - halved & sliced
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 inch piece of fresh ginger root - peeled and grated
1/3 cup Meyer Lemon Marmalade
1/3 cup Heniz chili sauce
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tsps chili powder
1 tsp smoke paprika
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
fresh cracked black pepper - 12 turns of the pepper mill

1.  Place sliced onion and minced garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Place pork loin on top.  In a medium bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients and pour over top of the pork.
2. Set slow cooker to 8 hours on low.  When cook time is finished, remove pork to a bowl and shred it.  Serve on bread or a roll with Savoy Cabbage slaw.


I had meant to include carrots in this slaw for color and more crunch but we were shockingly out of them. The Boy thought it worked perfectly without them, so if you make this slaw do whatever feels right to you.

Savoy Cabbage Slaw

1/2 savoy cabbage
6 green onions
1 red thai chile
1 1/2 Tbsps grapeseed oil
splash of peanut oil
1 Tbsp ponzu
salt & pepper
pinch sugar

1.  Slice cabbage into thin ribbons.  Slice light green and white parts of green onions on a diagonal. Toss together in a large bowl.
2.  Cut the chile in half and remove most of the seeds, depending on the level of heat you want.  Place in a small bowl.  Add in the oils and ponzu, whisk together.  Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and sugar.
3.  Pour over cabbage, toss and serve.

When I served this the Boy said it smelled like something you'd get from Susur Lee, quite the compliment.  I feel like the thought that because of the Asian flavors I incorporated, which is something I'm slowly but surely learning how to do.  We both really enjoy it, not too sweet, not too hot and the slaw really amped it up.  The marmalade taste wasn't in you face and while good, I may put more in it if I make it again.

February 2 - leftover Chicken Tikka Masala
February 3 - A couple slices of pizza
February 4 - Meyer Lemon Ginger Pulled Pork

Comments