Homemade Spaghetti and a bit of a dinner fail


April 24 - leftovers from Saturday night's dinner, Thanksgiving sammie for me, grilled ham & cheese for the Boy
April 25 - homemade whole wheat spaghetti turned into a gloopy pasta al pomodoro
April 26 - Chicken Schnitzel from Gourmet Schnitzel House

On Monday night I set out to make the deliciously perfectly looking cover recipe from the most recent Bon Appetit.  An issue I'm mildly obsessed with because it's all about Italy.  Few things make me as happy as a basic pasta in a good red sauce.  This recipe sounded similar to my red sauce but using a different method.  I made one catastrophic mistake though, rather than using the recommended dried, boxed pasta I wanted to make my own.  Now normally I'm certain this wouldn't be an issue, but I am now certain that I am just not a fan of homemade spaghetti.  It is so delicate and cooks so ridiculously quickly and turns far too fast into a gloopy mess.  Which while it had good flavor, a gloopy mess is what we ended up with.  Maybe If I had cut the pasta into tagliatelle or even fettuccine it would have worked out differently.


All this being said I'm certain that the pasta recipe I came up with was pretty perfect.  It came together perfectly and rolled out beautifully AND it's a whole wheat pasta that you'd never know was.  So I decided rather than sit on my practically perfect pasta, I'd share that.  I think it would be great for ravioli or tortelloni and even a nice tagliatelle.

Whole Wheat Pasta
makes 1lb of pasta

2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
pinch of sea salt
4 eggs
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1.  Either on a clean surface or in a bowl (I use a bowl b/c my counter version made an insane mess) whisk the flours and salt.
2. Create a well in the middle of the mound of flour.  It should be able to hold the  eggs and the oil.  add the eggs and oil to the well.
3.  Using a fork, slowly whisk the eggs and oil, all the while slowly incorporating a bit of flour with each whisk. Continue doing this until a dough forms and the fork will no longer mix it.
4.  Turn the dough and any additional flour onto a clean surface and knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and silky.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
5.  Divide the ball of dough into 6 equal pieces.  Flatten one piece of dough, sprinkle with flour and feed through your pasta rolling at the largest setting.  Fold the flatten dough into thirds, sprinkle with some more flour and feed through again. Repeat one more time, then start to move through the increments of your pasta roller. Feeding the sheet through only once at each setting.  Make sure you sprinkle with flour between each setting change.  I got up to 5 on my Kitchen Aid pasta roller. Sprinkle the finished sheet with flour, fold it over on it self and set aside while you roll out the rest of the dough.
6.  Once all the dough is rolled out, cut it into whatever shape you hope to use.  Cook right away or let dry before cooking.


The Pasta al Pomodoro recipe makes a delicious sauce and would have made for a delicious dinner had I simply followed the directions.  Yet another reason to follow recipes as they are written at least the first time.

I wonder if we have a clause in the no reEATS rules for recipe fails?  Can we make them again?  I'm inclined to say no with this one because the Boy kinda liked the mass of pasta and I did eat some since the sauce was so tasty.

Comments