May 23 Sticky Rotisserie Chicken


May 23    Guu Saka Bar with Jen and her Boy for her birthday!

This is the week that I take Sunday so that means posting Sunday and again the next day and last night we took Jen out for her birthday for dinner so clearly I didn't cook last night but I will post my my dinner from Friday night.

 I made this a year ago and totally forgot all about it until now. Whole chickens were on sale so I bought one and then couldn't figure out what to do with it. I will admit now that I don't roast whole chicken often because it's cheaper to buy a rotisserie chicken (fondly referred to as bubble chicken in reference to the plastic case it comes home in) and everyone loves the bubble chicken from Loblaws. IT'S REALLY TASTY SO SUE ME OKAY?
I was researching making rotisserie chicken at home and found some dodgy sounding recipes involving inverted pie plates and crock pots when I found this one on all recipes.com. I don't know who you are Sue Rogers, but I am a little bit in love with you. Words cannot express how delectable this chicken is. The skin is so crispy, the meat is so moist and tender and you are left with such delicious drippings. I just pour off all of the liquid in the roasting pan and let it sit for a bit and then take off as much of the fat as I can and serve the juice. I don't reduce it or try to make it fancier, I just serve it as is. It's really that tasty.
I didn't even bother making a spice rub this time. I used my favourite Buffalo Chicken Rub from Irie that I get at a west Indian grocery store. 

This isn't a recipe as much as it is a method and it could NOT be simpler.

Sticky Rotisserie Chicken:

1 chicken
1 onion, quartered
1 clove garlic
spice rub of your choice

Preheat the oven to 250F

You just rub the chicken (make sure the giblets etc are out of the cavity and rinse it in cold water and dry off with a paper towel) with whatever spice rub you want, let it sit for a few hours or overnight, stuff an onion and the garlic clove in the cavity and then throw it in a 250F oven for 5 hrs and walk away.

It's that easy. No basting, no nothing. Five hours later you will have the most delicious, crispy skinned chicken imaginable and your family will love you forever. I remove the chicken to a platter to rest and pour off all of the juices in the roasting pan and let them sit, skim off all of the fat and then just serve the remaining pan drippings as is.

We had  mixed rice/orzo, sautéed red cabbage and rapini and a bit of the mesa grill bbq sauce

Comments

  1. This looks amazing! Love whole roast chicken. Yours came out a perfect color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE rotisserie chickens. This looks absolutely amazing! Also love the term "bubble chicken." I've never heard that one before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Low and slow for roasting a chicken? I'd never considered that method but I'm going to try it -- we really love crispy chicken skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was skeptical the first time I tried it. No basting? No fat rubbed on the skin? But it comes out so crispy - much crispier than my normal roast chicken that I do using high heat and olive oil etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post! I absolutely have to try this method. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment