Grilled Asparagus with Farm Fresh Eggs & Parmesan


May 29 - dinner out in Montreal
May 30 - ham sandwich on the train
May 31 - Grilled Asparagus with Fried Egg & Parmesan

Late last night we got home from our carnivorous weekend in Montreal.  There was lots of meat, lots of fries, lots of bread and booze.  Don't get me wrong I was in heaven, but after all that food and only having 10 days off from my previous vacation I was truly happy to have a night in and to throw together this super simple but delicious meatless meal.  I know we let the Shack's down by not rallying to meet them at the Cieli Cottage, but we were truly spent, plus there will be many a beer and lots of great food to be shared with them this weekend at the cottage.

I've been without a car lately, with the Boy working and needing it and my car still off the road.  Since it's finally nice out, I've started to go to a Zumba class that is run at the church a mile and half up the street from our house. I walk there and back. I could take the bus, but I lie to take advantage of the nice weather and it's a nice walk, luckily the church is near a few of my favorite shops, Courage Foods, Close to the Bone and Fallingbrook Cafe.  Between those three shops, I can easily put together a tasty meal or pick up whatever ingredients I may be lacking.  None of them are as inexpensive as a large grocery store or Fu Yao, Carole's fave Asian grocery, but I love supporting the local mom & pop stores.  Plus most of the food sold at Courage is locally grown or produced.


my pooch was very interested in the eggs when i was trying to take a picture
Since we had been out of town over the weekend, there wasn't much to work with.  I swung by Courage first and picked up some gorgeous asparagus and farm fresh eggs, along with various other things including some gorgeous rhubarb that I turned into rhubarb sorbet.  But it was the eggs and asparagus that I knew would make an excellent dinner for tonight, especially since I had a wedge of parmesan and some truffle salt to really make is schmancy.


Grilled Asparagus with Fried Egg & Parmesan
serves 2

12 asparagus stalks
 extra virgin olive oil
1-2 Tbsps unsalted butter
2 farm fresh eggs
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
fresh cracked black pepper
truffle salt or other sea salt

1.  Heat the grill over medium to medium low heat, until it is at 400F. Trim the tough ends off the asparagus stalks and toss with extra virgin olive oil.
2. Once the grill is heated carefully place the stalks on the grill.  Close the lid and let cook for 5-7 minutes. Turn the asparagus over when they start to turn golden.  Cook for another 5-7 minutes.  Remove to a plate when cooked.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium heat until water beads up and dances across the surface.  Add the butter to the pan.
4. Break the eggs into a small bowl and gently pour into the heated pan.  Let cook for one minute, then cover and lower heat to medium low.  Let cook for approximately 3-5 more minutes, checking periodically until the white over top of the yolk turns opaque.
5.  Arrange the asparagus on 2 plates.  Top each pile with an egg, half of the parmesan, fresh cracked black pepper and a sprinkling of truffle salt.

Comments