Sausages, Peppers & Onions - a Perfect Grill meal


June 15 - Grilled Sausages Peppers & Onions with sauteed asparagus and mixed green salad with tomato & mozzarella
June 16 - Homemade ricotta pesto ravioli and a blueberry & fennel salad
June 17 - Burgers & Buns on the grill with a green salad

To me sausages with onions & peppers are summertime food at it's finest.  It's ballpark food.  At least it is at Fenway Park, the home of my beloved Red Sox.  The ballpark is surrounded with sausage carts, most famously The Sausage Guy.  When I think of sausages and peppers, I think of hot days and cold beer.

We had one of those hot days on Wednesday.  A day when cooking was the last thing I wanted to do.  As I started thinking about dinner and saw that I had a big bag of PC sweet baby peppers, a whole ton of onions all I could think of were sausages with onions & peppers.  It's not only a perfect summer meal but it's one I can cook entirely on the grill.  That means no sweating it out in my hotbox of a kitchen.  That's always a winner in my book.


We didn't have any sausages on hand, so I had the Boy stop at Meating on Queen to pick up whichever variety (and there are alot) he wanted.  I'm not sure if Carole has written about his place yet, but we've only even had it because the Shack's brought some of their tasty sausages up to the cottage.  They have an insane selection of sausages, so overwhelming that the Boy didn't know where to look in choosing and went with the butcher's recommendation of their standard Ecuadorian sausage in hot and mild.  That was absolutely fine with me as these sausages were packed with flavor and paired very nicely with the grill cooked peppers and onions.

This is more of a method than a recipe, but it's so delicious and easy and tasty that I just had to share.  The key is using good quality meat and veg as it's all about their flavor.


Sausages with Grilled Rainbow Peppers & Onions

1 each baby red, orange and yellow peppers - seeded and sliced
1 small white onion - sliced
1 small red onion sliced
2 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic - minced
sea salt & cracked black pepper
4 sausages

1. Preheat the grill over medium to medium low heat.  Toss the vegetables with the garlic, oil, salt & pepper.
2.  Place the grill basket on the grill to heat for at least 5 minutes before adding the vegetables.
3. Add the vegetables to the grill basket on 1 side of the grill and the sausages to the other side.
4.  Toss the vegetables and turn the sausage every 5 minutes for a total of 15 minutes until the sausages and vegetables are cooked through.
5. Remove to a platter & serve.

Comments