Garlic Scape Fettuccine Carbonara


June 29 - Garlic Scape Fettuccine Carbonara
June 30 - Sausages, potatoes & coleslaw up at the cottage - cooked by the in-laws
July 1 - Canada Day Feast of beer can chicken, roast potatoes, yams, broccoli & green salad - cooked by the Boy and in-laws

It's a good thin I made dinner on Wednesday night or I'd have nothing to post!  The last two night's Iw as fortunate enough to have the Boy and his fam feeding me.  I have to say I'm pretty happy about it.  We'ra at the halfway point pf this challenge and I have to admit I'm pretty weary.  The constant thinking of what I'm going to make for dinner, making sure it's different from something I've already made and then also being on top of posting, it can be exhausting.  I almost missed both of my posts last weekend because I just lost track of time.


Due to my weariness I mad sure Wednesday's dinner was super simple.  I utilized ingredients we had on hand and threw together this super quick pasta. I've only made carbonara for the boy once before this challenge and he loved it and has been waiting for me to make it again.  Needless to say he was thrilled when I told him what I was making for dinner.  I'm thinking that since I used garlic scapes and bacon that I might be able to switch it up to have again by using the proper pancetta and regular garlic.  Not sure if that will fly or not, but then again I might not want to make it again for awhile.

Garlic Scape Fettuccine Carbonara
serves 2

3 oz bacon - cut into pieces
1/4 cup roughly chopped garlic scapes
2 eggs
1/2 cup pecorino romano plus more for sprinkling after
1/2 lb fettuccine
sea salt & fresh crack black pepper

1.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a medium saute pan fry the bacon pieces over medium heat until nice and crispy.  Remove to a bowl to reserve.
2.  Add the chopped garlic scapes to the rendered bacon fat in the pan and saute until tender and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.  Add to the bowl with the bacon.
3.  In a bowl whisk together the eggs, cheese and healthy amount fo black pepper and a pinch of salt.
4. Cook pasta according to the packages direction for al dente.  Reserve about a cup of the pasta water and then drain.
5. Immediately add the pasta back into the hot pot.  Pour in the egg/cheese mixture a bit at a time and toss to combine.  The hot pasta will cook the eggs, but you want to keep them moving so the get creamy and not curdled.  If necessary add in some reserves pasta water to help bring it all together.
6.  Toss in the bacon and garlic scapes, garnish with a bit more black pepper and some cheese and serve.

Happy Canada Day & 4th of July Weekend!

Comments

  1. This looks AWESOME!!!!! I def. have to try this next time I cook for some people!!!

    Love,

    http://chickswholovetoeat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy & Tiffanie - it is super easy and oh so tasty! perfect for guests!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment