Easy Black Bean Tacos


August 3 - take-out from Queen Margherita Pizza
August 4 - Wings & Beer at the Fill Station for the Red Sox Game
August 5 - Gourmet Schnitzel House take-out

As you can see by my rundown above, I haven't cooked over the last couple days.  But we started the blog to help keep us honest and we committed to keeping it real in what we share with you.  So that's the reality.   on Thursday I went to my Zumba class and raced home, started making some homemade tortillas* for some shrimp and bacon tacos that I wanted to make.  After I made half a dozen, and got off the phone with a girlfriend in Texas, the Boy came into the kitchen and said oh I thought we could go get wings and watch the baseball game.  I won't pretend I wasn't slightly perturbed by this since I had already started dinner and had shrimps defrosted in the oven.  But I finished the tortillas I had in the pan, wrapped them up, took a quick shower and off to the bar we went.

Well today rolled around and the Boy and I were up early to get to the St Lawrence Market Saturday Market so I could stock up on fruit for some preserving this weekend.  We ate at around 10:30am so by the time 5pm rolled around we were a bit hungry.  Knowing we didn't have dinner reservations until 8:30 I whipped up these super easy tacos, with the tortillas I had in the fridge and some ingredients I happened to have on hand.



Though these were an afternoon snack for us but we'd both happily eat them for dinner.  The only thing missing was some crunch which could easily be remedied by some fresh chopped onion or cabbage.  But even without they were TASTY!

Black Bean Tacos
serves 2-3

1/2 can refried black beans
pinch jalapeno flake
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp onion powder
a few grinds of black pepper
2-3 lime wedges
1/2 avocado - sliced
1/2 cup peach salsa - I had homemade, Santa Barbara's Peach Mango would be delish too
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
6-7 corn tortillas

1.  In a small sauce pan heat the refried beans, with the jalapeno flake, cumin, onion powder and black pepper.  Cook until just heated through.
2.  Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and warm the corn tortillas until they are hot and pliable.
3.  Divide the tortillas among 2-3 plates.  Add some grated cheddar, top with a couple Tbsps of black beans, some salsa, a slice of avocado and hit them all with some fresh squeezed lime juice.
4.  Eat!

* Don't be confused, I'm not super woman I just use Maseca for my corn tortillas and have a tortilla press so they couldn't be easier or cheaper and are far superior to any I can get at the grocery store.

Comments