Chili Nachos


September 19 - worked late
September 20 - worked late again
September 21 - chili nachos

I turned to Facebook earlier in the week to get some ideas for what to do with some leftover chili from Sunday night.  The dish was a hit with the Boy and I had a ton leftover.  My friends were chock full of suggestions from nachos to sloppy joes to pizza to stuffed peppers to baked pasta.  It was enough to make me happy that I have another few cups in the freezer for yet another use.  But I needed something for tonight and had a bunch of avocados that I intended to turn into guacamole when we ate the chili the first time.  Well what else does guac go with?  Why nachos of course! Plus I had all I needed on hand, save for a quick stop to pick up some multigrain tortillas, so nachos it was for tonight.  Plus nachos are good TV watching food and we are parked in front of the season premier of Modren Family as I type, one of our favorite shows.  How I love when the new TV season starts!
Chili Nachos

2 cups leftover chili
2 cups aged cheddar cheese - finely shredded
1 roma tomato - seeded and diced
1/2 small onion - diced
1 bag multigrain tortillas
guacamole  - recipe below
sour cream - for serving

1.  Heat the oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Spread the bag of tortillas evenly across the sheet.
2. Heat the chili in a small saucepan until warmed through.  Spread evenly over the chips.  Top with the diced onion and tomato and the shredded cheese.
3.  Place in the oven and bake for 10-15  minutes until the cheese is nice and melty.


Guacamole

2 avocados
1 roma tomato - seeded and diced
1 garlic clove - minced
1 lime juiced
1 small handful of cilantro - roughly chopped
salt & black pepper

1.  Halve the avocados, remove the seed and scoop the flesh into a bowl, reserve the seeds. Mash with a fork until there are still small chunks and it's not completely smooth.
2.  Mix in the tomato, garlic, lime and cilantro.  Stir to combine.  Taste and adjust seasoning to taste with salt & pepper.  Place the seeds back in the guacamole (this keeps it from turning brown), cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.  

Comments