Greek Pizza


August 31 - date night at Rodney's Oyster House with delish oysters and fatty lobsters.
September 1 - Greek Pizza
Septe,mber 2 - road trip to the cottage

So here it is Saturday night and I all but forgot to write-up my post.  After rushing up to the cottage last night after a long day at work, helping the in-laws out with a garage sale today and spending the rest of the afternoon making custards for the vanilla bean and mint chip ice creams that will go in our homemade ice cream sandwiches tomorrow, plus helping with dinner, I was more than happy to crawl into bed with my book and pass out.

But then with a start I remembered it was Saturday and despite my best intentions to prep the post yesterday, work was far to busy to even sneak a sentence here and there.  So here I am in bed, ready to pass out but after a delinquent weekend last week, I feel it's the least I can do.


The recipe isn't mindblowing by any stretch but it was quite tasty and took advantage of ingredients I had in the house. Which after a 12 hour day is really all that matters.  It was also a way to get the boy to eat eggplant again.  As I was thinking about using the leftover eggplant in a pizza, I remembered that I had made an eggplant pizza back at the beginning of the challenge. My go to it with fried eggplant chunks, red peppers, roasted garlic, sauce and cheese.  Not super original but tasty nonetheless.  Well since I had already made that one I knew this pizza had to be different.  And since we had no mozzarella at the house and I'd have to pick that up with the pizza dough, I decided to go with feta and a greek twist on pizza with some kalamata olives and the feta.  It wasn't the ooey gooey mess that most pizzas are but it was damn good and one I'll make again once this year is up.

Greek Pizza
makes 1 pizza

1 ball of whole wheat pizza dough from the grocery store
1/2 cup your favorite pizza sauce - I love my easy peasy sauce
3/4 cup feta cubes
3/4 cup grilled eggplant pieces - I used leftover eggplant from Tuesday night
2 small vine tomatoes
1/4 cup halved kalamata olives
garlic oil
salt & pepper

1.  Heat the over to 400F.  Roll out the pizza dough and place on a floured peel and let rise while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
2. Slice the tomatoes, lightly salt them and place on a paper towel to drain for at least 15 mins.  Dice the feta and eggplant.
3.  Spread the sauce on the round of dough.  Top with the rest of the ingredients, drizzle with some garlic oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt and black pepper.
4. Place on the pizza stone in the heated oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the bottom is super crispy and golden brown.
5.  Remove to a cutting board and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving

Comments