Meat Stuffed Tomatoes

This is a first.  I am going to post a recipe this morning, that I plan to make tonight.  The funny thing is I planned to make it Sunday night, Monday night and last night.  I have all of the ingredients on hand and am now concerned that the ground pork I bought might not be so good.  But we'll see when I get home tonight.

I know the whole idea here is keeping it real, so stay tuned for an update to this post with a photo OR with me saying I didn't make it.  Regardless it's a tasty sounding recipe that I so want to make and am hoping it happens tonight.



So maybe I'm mildly obsessed with my new spanish cookbook.  I mean I am sharing another recipe from it today. That has to do with the fact that I took five minutes to bookmark recipes that looked interesting to me.  And ones that had a small number of ingredients and looked fairly east to assemble.  Those are my two requirements these days.  I'm really curious as to what I'm going to be sharing with in the coming months since cooking and shooting a movie rarely go hand in hand, at least not in my world.  I might have to get creative on the craft truck on set.

Meat Stuffed Tomatoes
serves 2
adapted from the Food of Spain by Claudia Roden

2 large beefsteak tomatoes
1/4 onion chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
2.5 oz ground pork
salt & peppet
2 slice serrano ham
1/2 hard boiled egg halved

1. Cut a small slice off the stem of each tomato, to use as a lid.  Shave the inside of the lids to leave more room for the stuffing.  Carefully Remove some of the pulp and seeds.
2.  Heat up a skillet over medium heat.  Add the oil and onions and saute until golden.  Add the pork and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring and breaking it up unti it is no longer pink. Season to taste with salt & pepper
3. Transfer the pork and onions to a food processor with the ham and egg.  Blend to a smooth paste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
4. Stuff the tomatoes with the paste, pressing it firmly and cover with the lids
5. Arrange the tomatoes in a baking dish and bake in a 400F degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.


Comments