Sept 26 Salad with Beets, Walnut Vinaigrette and Steak


Sept 26  Steak Salad with bread

This is the week that I often dread - it's the week where I take the Sunday which means that I have to make something worth sharing with you two days in a row which sounds like it wouldn't be a big deal. Before I started this challenge I clearly didn't think it would be a big deal either but not only do I have to come up with something new, it has to be pretty and I have to photograph it too.
Yesterday, we had delicious grilled strip loins with the chimichurri compound butter and we had a half a steak left over. I knew that I would be finding a use for that steak. I also had roasted beets leftover so I wanted to use those too.
I had bought some really good walnut oil from D'Avolio on the weekend and nothing goes better with roasted beets than walnut oil. It was all starting to come together. A salad with the beets, a nutty walnut vinaigrette and steak with some nice, crumbled feta. Throw in some warm, homemade bread with walnuts and you have yourself a pretty nice Monday supper. I am always happy to turn leftovers into something that would be worth making on another day with freshly made ingredients.



Steak Salad with Beets, Feta and Walnut Vinaigrette
serves 2

*walnut vinaigrette
2 servings of baby arugula (at least 2 to 3 cups)
cold, pre cooked beets brought to room temp
cold leftover strip loin, cut into thin slices and brought to room temp
1 avocado, sliced or in chunks
1/4 cup crumbled sheep feta
2 tbls toasted pumpkin seeds


*Walnut Vinaigrette

1 tbls walnut oil
2 tbls sunflower oil
1 tbls white balsamic vinegar
1/2 shallot, minced
1/2 tsp strong honey
1 tsp tarragon reisling dijon (use whatever dijon or grainy mustard you like)
kosher salt and black pepper

Toss the arugula with 3/4 of the vinaigrette and arrange on a plate. Arrange the sliced beets, avocado and steak artfully over the greens. Drizzle the extra dressing over the salad and then scatter the feta and the walnuts over each salad.

there are no avocados in this picture but we ate ours with avocado and it was delicious

Comments

  1. What a gorgeous salad, this looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and fresh looking salad. That vinaigrette sounds really amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment