Oct 20-26 Gnocchi and Chicken with Brown Butter and Sage


Oct 20     Wing night with The Neighbour
Oct 21     Dinner at my sister's 
Oct 22     Dinner at my sister's
Oct 23    Junk food on the train
Oct 24     Gnocchi with browned butter and sage

The kid and I went to spend the weekend with my sister and her family and I usually do some of the cooking while I am there but that didn't happen this time. We got in late on Friday so my sister whipped up some tasty tacos, Saturday she made her much requested pork schnitzel and then we left right at suppertime on Sunday so we didn't really eat dinner. Little Shack had a pizza from the little restaurant in my sister's village and took it with us to eat at the train station and I had an apple, a few bites of his pizza, some swedish berries and a few handfuls of kettle corn. It was not a stellar eating day for me lol.

Monday I made the dinner that I had planned to make last Thursday before I was swept away for wing night. It's nothing complicated and I didn't make the gnocchi myself but it was tasty and simple and quick and we were all very happy with it. I added the chicken so that it would be a complete one pan meal but it's delicious without any chicken and just more gnocchi and you can serve with some sort of meat or fish as a side.

Gnocchi with Browned Butter and Sage
500g potato gnocchi, cook according to package instructions
4 tbls salted butter
15 to 20 sage leaves, chopped
a small glug of chicken stock.2 tbls maximum
salt and pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced thingly

Salt and pepper your sliced, raw chicken and set aside. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and while you wait for that, heat a sauté pan over med to med low heat and melt half the butter. Add the chopped sage and swish around for a minute before adding the chicken. Stir the chicken around and cook until all the pink has disappeared which will only take a couple of minutes, tops, since you have sliced it really thinly. By this time, your water is boiling so drop your gnocchi in to cook them for about 3 minutes or until they all float to the top of the simmering water.
This is when I add the other half of the butter to the pan with the chicken and let it melt. Push the chicken over to one side of the pan and let the butter just start to turn golden brown. As soon as that happens, splash in a touch of chicken stock - probably no more than 2 tbls if you need an exact measure and let that come to a boil.
By now your gnocchi are done so remove those from the pot with a big slotted spoon or pour out into a strainer and add the gnocchi to the pan with the buttery chicken and sage. Give it a good toss to coat well and serve.

Comments

Post a Comment