Oct 3-6 Tonkatsu-ish Pork Chops



Oct 3     Pork Tonkatsu with Tonkatsu sauce
Oct 4     Dinner NYC  
Oct 5     Dinner at Po NYC



Monday night was the last dinner I was going to cook for a few days because Shack and I were ditching The Kid with The Neighbours and running away to New York for the rest of the week. I wanted to use up stuff that was in the fridge and I had some pork chops so it made sense to follow up our Japanese curry with tonkatsu. It's not totally traditional since the pork chops are not deep fried, they were marinated in a bit of mustard and butter milk instead of dipping them in egg before I panko'd them but I did make the sauce and they were close enough for me. We had it with a spinach salad using a japanese sesame dressing that I am not sure I am 100% sold on but it is kind of growing on me. What's not to like about a nice, breaded pork chop with a sweet, slightly spicy yummy sauce on it? Since I knew that I was going to spend the next week eating my face off and The Kid was going to be spoiled rotten by The Neighbours, we are lucky that I even bothered to cook anything and not just hand everyone a peanut butter sandwich and call it a day.

Pork Tonkatsu-ish

3 centre cut, boneless pork chops
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbls dijon mustard

1 cup panko
salt and pepper

1-2 tbls oil
Tonkatsu sauce

mix the buttermilk and mustard and let the chops marinate in that at least a couple hours or all day if you can. Mix the panko with a bit of salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
Heat a frying pan with the oil in it over med heat. Remove the chops from the buttermilk and coat them on all sides with the panko. Put the breaded chops in the pan and fry them for about 5-6 minutes per side.
Serve them with the tonkatsu sauce

Tonkatsu sauce
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup sake
2 tbls sugar
2 tbls mirin
1 tbls grated ginger
1 tbls finely chopped garlic

Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil and then lower heat so that it simmers lightly for about 20 minutes. It should thicken up and reduce by about half. Let it cool to room temp.It will keep in the fridge for weeks.

Comments

  1. Oh yeah! this looks great! I think I have everything in my pantry except the sake. I will make this soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never hear of Tonkatsu before. It sounds wonderful though. I love different recipes for pork chops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! So much better than fried pork with gravy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment