Roasted Tomato & Caramelized Onion Salad



I saw this salad about a month ago and knew I had to make it.  Chock full of some of my favorite ingredients and something that keeps well in the fridge, you can't go wrong as far as I'm concerned. Last weekend, as I was preparing to go back to work seemed like the perfect time, since it would be an easy bite to grab after a long day on set.  
I sadly couldn't find faro, at least not as easily as I'd like, so I went with Joy's suggestion to try it with Israeli Couscous. It turned out to be a great suggestion and I'm in love with this delicious salad.  I seriously would make and devour it every week, but I guess that will have to wait until next year. Unless of course simply switching it up for faro would be enough of a change to make it a noREEAT, what do you think?
Oh yeah and Happy Thanksgiving Canada!  I'm in NH with my family as this posts and am sadly missing Canadian Thanksgiving, though the Boy and I are beyond happy to be celebrating an early birthday with my Mom.

Tomato and Caramalized Onion Farro Salad
adapted from Joy the Baker
serves 4
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 (or a few good pinches) salt
1/2 teaspoon (or a good pinch) crushed red chili flakes
2 medium yellow onions, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups Israeli Couscous
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Place cherry tomatoes on a sheet tray.  Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and red chili flakes.  Bake for 15 minutes, or until some tomatoes have burst and are golden brown and sizzling.  Remove from the onion and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Place olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add sliced onions and toss to coat in fat.  Allow onions to cook down for 5 minutes without stirring.  Toss after 5 minutes, then allow to cook without being disturbed for another 5 minutes.  Add salt and toss.  Onions will begin to brown and break down.  
3. Remove onions from the heat momentarily, add balsamic vinegar.  Toss to coat all of the onions.  Return to heat and allow to cook down to a melty consistency.  Onions will be browned, broken down and delicious.
4. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large pot.  When water boils, add a pinch of salt.  Add couscous and stir.  Cook for 10-13 minutes until cooked through with a slight bite.  Drain in a fine mesh strainer, return to pot, and toss with olive oil.  Add roasted tomatoes, caramalized onions, and chopped parsley.  Toss and serve warm.

Comments