Nov 21-23 Orange thyme pork



Nov 21     Orange Thyme Pork
Nov 22     Dinner at Table 17
Nov 23     Worked through dinner and boys were on their own

I have been really at a loss as far as dinner is concerned as we near the home stretch of this year long challenge and so I bought Donna Hay's new book - Fast, Fresh, Simple. She has always been a favourite of mine with her simple, tasty recipes, her beautiful food photography and styling and heavy asian influence. I have all of her books and they always give me tons of inspiration so I am counting on this book to bring me into the home stretch.

I liked the sound of her Thyme and Orange Pork with Winter Slaw except that I wasn't in the mood for the slaw and I wanted to use my pork tenderloin instead of loin steaks. A little tweak here, a little change there and I ended up with a simple, fast and tasty dinner for The Kid and I. I am going to apologize in advance for the quality of many of the photos that are going to come, including this one. With the time change, it's totally dark by dinner time and I cannot always make the food early in the day just so I can get a beautiful photo of it and there aren't always leftovers that I can photograph the next day. Such is the life of a no reEATER after the time change.


Orange Thyme Pork
adapted from Donna Hay

1 tbls olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbls grated orange zest (i used a rasp but next time I would want my zest to be less fine)
1 pork tenderloin
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 tbls brown sugar

Heat a frying pan over medium high heat.Add the oil, orange zest, garlic and thyme and cook for about three minutes, until it becomes kind of crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Cut the tenderloin into 2" sections. Pound each section flat (I put the disk of pork between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound it with a wine bottle) until it's about 1/4" thick. Salt and pepper all of the pork and add them to the hot pan. Cook for about 3 minutes per side or until well browned. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the orange juice, chicken stock and sugar and cook until reduced a bit before you put the pork back in the pan along with the zest mixture and cook for another minute until the pork is heated through. I served this over rice.

Comments